The original Town Gate was built at the same time as the Port Wall during the lordship of Roger Bigod and many and varied uses - prison, guard room, quarters for the local constable, tailor’s workroom and museum to name a few. Following the recent restoration, this room was named the Margaret Cleyton room in memory of the lady who had the adjacent Gatehouse rebuilt in 1609.
The Town Gate was entrusted to the custody of Chepstow Urban District Council in 1899 as a bequest from the late Duke of Beaufort and the Gatehouse was presented to the town in 1919. The building now houses the Town Council and the Citizens Advice Bureau and is available for meetings and functions.
The medieval town of Chepstow was protected on the north and east by the Wye and the town or Port Wall, which was built in the late 13th Century to afford protection on the landward sides. Access to the Town from the landward side was through the Town Gate only controlled by means of a gate and portcullis. Although impressive in scale, the wall was built as a means of controlling entry to the town and not for defense. This type of wall was known as a “Customs Wall.”
Much of the wall is still in an excellent state of preservation and can be viewed today. Particular vantage points include the main car park (off Welsh Street), the main A48 and the Railway Station area.