Rededication Service for Town's War Memorials
Published: 12 January 2022
The Town Council welcomed Brigadier Robert Aitken CBE, Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant for Gwent, Phillip M Alderman Esq, the High Sherriff of Gwent, relatives of Able Seaman William Charles Williams VC. Lieutenant Colonel C. A. Evill, D.S.O, who unveiled the War Memorial in 1922 was represented at the service by his grandson along with local uniformed organisations and town dignitaries.
A service of Remembrance and Rededication was held at 2.15pm in St Mary’s Priory where a painting of the landing of the River Clyde hangs in memory of Able Seaman William Charles Williams, who was awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery. The congregation then moved to Beaufort Square where the War Memorial and Gun were re-dedicated before the names of the fallen were read out.