Chepstow Town Council is the grass roots voice of local government for Chepstow and comprises of 15 Councillors elected for five years. The next election will be held in 2017 but by - elections may be held to fill vacancies occurring between elections.
Each year the council raises a "precept" on the council tax payers to cover the cost of running expenses and services provided.
In 2017/18 the precept will be £669,810.00 (costing the average council tax payer based on Band D £121.81 per annum)
In Chepstow, the Town Council:
- Provides major funding for the Citizens Advice Bureau
- Supports the Bulwark Community Centre and the Drill Hall
- Provides Summer floral displays and Christmas Lighting
- Underwrites the Round Table November Fireworks Spectacular and Chepstow Carnival
- Provides funding for a summer playscheme for local children of primary school age
- Provides funding for the Chepstow Festival and Two Rivers Folk Festival
- Supports Chepstow Farmers Market
- Undertakes the regular cleaning of the Town's War Memorial
- Maintains and undertakes improvement works to the historic Town Arch and Gatehouse
- Seeks to improve problem unadopted areas throughout the Town. Funds the pruning and replanting of Nelson Street car park and the bedding under the A48, community litter picking initiatives, the cleaning of unsightly "gum" from the town centre, the planting of bulbs in the Spring and, fruit trees in the Autumn.
- Makes grants to local community groups and organisations to facilitate a wide range of activities. Recent funding has for example included parent/toddler and playgroups, Guide and Scout groups, youth football and rugby teams, senior citizens groups, Chepstow Town Band, the Severn Area Rescue Association and the Severn Princess Restoration Group.
- Enhances services provided by Monmouthshire County Council including the provision of a new WC at Chepstow Bus Station, extended opening hours at Chepstow Museum.
- Comments on all planning applications in the town - Monmouthshire County Council then makes the final decision, taking into account our views.